Sightseeing tour infos

 
 
     
 
In a world that is becoming more and more a world of robots, "statues come to life while people turn to stone "... A paradox that we are witnessing in astonishment and disbelief.

What is the story of these statutes? Why did people feel or believe it necessary to immortalize a person, an event, an object with the help of a piece of stone? ... which they then place in a public space to last for eternity...? The answer to this question was given by the great Nicolae Iorga who said that "the statues of the great people of our nation are on our country's body what holy icons are in our houses".

Undoubtedly, the cultural identity of a land, region , city, community is given by its traditions, by the way in which it preserves its history (with myths, legends and symbolical benchmarks), but also by the commemorative statues and monuments evoking remarkable personalities, linked in one way or another to those places, completing the beauty of the city.

Sector 1 of Bucharest (the Northern part of the Capital), an area of maximum concentration of our culture and civilization, often named "the Sector of the Green", constitutes the place where "man, nature and history" determined the appearance of a settlement which combines the beauty of nature with the vestiges of the past and the signs of the present. "It is impossible not to fall in love with this place where the beauty of nature is fulfilled by the traditional and modern architecture, and culture and art seem to have agreed to meet in a spot blessed by God. The city inspires a feeling of solemnity, love and dignity in everything it brings forth. The pride of being a citizen of the "Sector of the Green" community is overwhelming. (Adrian Majuru)

Beyond the traditional and modern architecture, the cultural vocation of the Sector of the Green can be found in the commemorative statues and monuments that complete the urban landscape. It is obvious that the "inventory" of the statues in Sector 1 cannot do without:

1. “The Statue of Barbu Stefănescu Delavrancea”
2. “The Statue of Monsenior Vladimir Ghika”
3. “The Bust of Nicolae Iorga”
4. “The Statue of Alexandru Lahovary”
5. “The Statue of Iuliu Maniu”
6. “The Statue of I.C. Brătianu”
7. “The Statue of General Charles de Gaulle”

The fascination of carving in stone the image of the great people of the nation led to the creation of these monumental statues, cultural objectives, genuine tourism attractions.


Delavrancea
The Statue of
Barbu Şt. Delavrancea
“The Statue of Barbu Stefănescu Delavrancea” (1858-1918) is located on the left side of the Kiseleff Road, very close to the Circus II. Like the Bust of Ovidiu, placed across it, this statue is also signed by Corneliu Medrea. It was created in 1920 being carved in Albesti stone - from the Campulung area. Barbu Stefanescu Delavrancea was a prose writer and playwright, a journalist and orator, having the vocation of perceiving political and cultural events in their most inner significance.

He entered the political scene and became mayor of Bucharest in 1899. On May 12th, 1912, as a sign of appreciation for his entire work as prose writer and playwright, he is elected member of the Romanian Academy and invited to deliver the homage speech one year later.

During the festive meeting held on May 22nd, 1913, before the plenum, Delavrancea delivered the speech entitled "From the aesthetics of the folk poem", which would have a particular resonance in the literary world. The media of those times reproduced extensive fragments, illustrating the writer's unique force in presenting arguments regarding the full complexity of the folk creation.


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 205, 300, 282 (Piaţa Ion Mihalache or Bd. Ion Mihalache Stations) and
       Bucharest City Tour
Ghika
Statue of Monsenior
Vladimir Ghika
“The Statue of Monsenior Vladimir Ghika” (1873-1954) known as the „Scholar”, a title which saved it from being destroyed during the communist regime, was made in 1938 by sculptor Gheorghe Anghel as a sign of gratitude for the help received by the sculptor from Monsenior Ghika during his study years in Paris.

The statue was exhibited at the National Museum of Art of Bucharest. In order to better illustrate the spirit of Monsenior Ghika, Gheorghe Anghel expanded solely the vertical lines of his work, suggesting a spiritual grandeur, rather than a material one, of the person being embodied. The elongation bestows on the figure of the Monsenior a hallucinating air, with accent on the Byzantine atmosphere.

Following the insistence of the parishioner priest of the "Sacre Coeur" French Church, Ioan Ciobanu, in 2004 the statute of Monsenior Ghika was placed in the square nearby the French Church (built in 1930 by the Society of the Daughters of Charity).


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 131, 182, 282, 330, 331, 335 (Piaţa Dorobanţilor Station), 131, 282,
       301, 330, 331, 385 (Charles de Gaulle Station) and Bucharest City Tour
Iorga
The Bust of
Nicolae Iorga
“The Bust of Nicolae Iorga” (1871-1940) represents the artwork of Ion Irimescu, and was created in 1976, being placed in front of the “Nicolae Iorga” Institution of History on Aviatorilor Boulevard.

One of the most brilliant minds of this nation, Nicolae Iorga (1871-1940) was a historian and literary critic, a documentarian, a playwright, a poet, an encyclopedist, a memoir writer, a university professor and a member of the Romanian Academy, leaving behind an impressive work. He was a prominent figure in the political life as well, holding offices of minister, parliament member and prime-minister.

Nicolae Iorga had a tragic death, He was forcefully taken from his villa in Sinaia and assassinated. After the news of Iorga's assassination became public, 47 universities and academies all over the world raised their flags half-mast.


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 61, 66, 69, 70, 85, 90, 91, 92, 163, 336 şi 601 (Universitate Station), 300,
       361, 381 (Piaţa Victoriei Station) and Bucharest City Tour
   •   subway: the 2nd line (Universitate Station)
Lahovary
The Statue of
Alexandru Lahovary
“The Statue of Alexandru Lahovary” (1841-1897) represents a work of art made in bronze of the sculptor Marius - Jean Antonin Mercié and is placed in the middle of the square with the same name and inaugurated on June 17th, 1901.

It is said that the sculptor himself chose the place where the statue would be placed; initially the City Hall intended to have it adorn Piata Romana, at the time at the crossroad between Coltea Boulevard and Romana Street, but the sculptor considered it to be "too big" for the size of his monument.

The monument embodies the great Conservative politician, Alexandru Lahovary, in an orator's stance, standing up and with his right hand stretched in front.

On the base of the statute there are representations of the god Neptune and of a woman who is offering the politician a quill pen as symbol of the talent with which he conceived his resonant political speeches. In a different interpretation, the base of the statute illustrates a masculine allegory of the Danube River, while on the left an allegory of Agricultural Romania - the feminine figure in the national costume bringing homage to the distinguished politician.

At the time the monument was one of the first "grands hommes" type statutes in Romania to represent a contemporary political personality. Plates of bronze were affixed on the base, with quotes from Lahovari's speeches, but these plates were destroyed during the communist regime installed after 1948. One of these quotes reminded of the Romanians' fight for national identity. "Our Danube has carried to the Sea more Romanian blood than water..."


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 331 (Piaţa Lahovary Station), 126, 131, 133, 168, 300, 331, 361, 368,
       381 (Piaţa Romană Station) and Bucharest City Tour
   •   subway: the 2nd line (Piaţa Romană Station)
Maniu
The Statue of
Iuliu Maniu
“The Statue of Iuliu Maniu” (1873 - 1953), artwork of the sculptor Mircea Corneliu Spataru, placed in Piata Palatului, almost in front of the balcony of the former C.C. of the P.C.R (Romanian Communist Party) on December 1st, 1998.

Iuliu Maniu, a great politician of the Peasants' Party, was one of the most prominent Romanian politicians, holding the office of Romania's prime-minister 3 times, between 1928 and 1933. He was an open adversary of the policy of influence exercised by Russia, and for this reason he was imprisoned by the communists in 1947, when they took over the power. He died in 1953 in the Sighet prison.


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 361 (Piaţa Revoluţiei Station), 178 (Sala Palatului Station), 126, 168, 300,
       368, 226 (Nicolae Balcescu Station) and Bucharest City Tour
Brătianu
The Statue of
I.C. Brătianu
“The Statue of I.C. Brătianu” the great Romanian politician, was designed by Petre Antonescu and executed in 1903 following public subscription by the sculptor Ernest Dubois. Initially, the monument was placed in the yard of the Brătianu residence, at the initiative of his wife, Eliza. In 1937, the famous Croatian sculptor, Ivan Mestrovici finished the masterpiece, which would be inaugurated one year later, when Eliza Bratianu became ill. The monument was approximately 9 m tall and sat on a circular pedestal, while the base was flanked by four allegorical characters sitting down. On the front of the base, the following text was carved: "with our minds, with our hearts and with our arms. 1851."

Three characters are depicted looking at this text, a woman pointing out the inscription to the two children who accompanied her. Under this group, on a black marble plate the following words were written: "To Ion C. Bratianu 1903."

In 1947 the statue is brought down by the authorities and in 1991 it is restored to its rightful place on Dacia Boulevard, not far from the Museum of the Romanian Literature, through the efforts of Ioana Bratianu. The statue, sculpted in granite, presents Ion Bratianu sitting in his desk chair.


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 133 (Calea Victoriei Station), 126, 133, 300, 368, 361 (Piaţa Romană
       Station) and Bucharest City Tour
Charles de Gaulle
Statuia Generalului
Charles de Gaulle
“The Statue of General Charles de Gaulle” is the artwork, made in bronze, by Mircea Corneliu Spătaru and is a representation of the French General and politician, while coming down the stairs carrying a coat on his right arm. The work is made of bronze and is 4.6 m tall, weighing approximately 7tons. It is placed in Herastrau park, at the entrance from the CDG Square, and was unveiled on the occasion of the Francophone Summit held in Bucharest in September 2006.

The statue occupies a well-deserved place in the Capital of Romania, within the context of the historical tradition of the political and cultural relations between Romania and France.

The statue is placed on a base, also made of bronze, with a height of over 1 meter.


Means of transportation

   •   bus: 131, 282, 301 330, 331, 361, 385 (Charles de Gaulle Station) and
       Bucharest City Tour
   •   subway: the 2nd line (Aviatorilor Station)